About Us Visa Services

Welcome to the Visa Service of the Consulate General of India, Istanbul. Applications for Visa can be made at the Consular &Visa Section of this Consulate, which is open from 0930 hours to 1200 hours on all working days. Passports, after completion of the service requested, can be collected from 1645 and 1715 hours on the indicated  date. Fee for visa service is accepted at the Consulate in cash in US dollars. As far as possible, exact amount may be tendered at the payment counter. Application forms that are not required to be filled on-line can be downloaded from this website or obtained from the Consular counter at the Consulate. For any clarification or further information, please call or e-mail as per information available under the tab 'Contact Us'.

Note:The provinces of Aydin, Balikesir, Bursa, çanakkale, Denizli, Edirne, Istanbul, Kirklareli, Kocaeli, Manisa, Mugla, Sakarya, Tekirdag and Yalova are currently under the jurisdiction of this Consulate. Applicants living in other parts of Turkey are requested to submit their visa applications at Embassy of India, Ankara

For requirement of for all other types of Visas, please contact Consular Section of this Post

Applicants are requested to apply online for their visa at least 20 days prior to their scheduled date of travel. The consulate requires at least 1-2 working day(s) to process your visa application if you are a Turkish national. However, if you are not a Turkish national or with dual nationality or a long-term resident outside Turkey, normally a period of 3-4 working days is required to process visa application. The Visas are accepted/delivered on working days as per following schedule:

Working hours of Visa counter: 09.30 hrs to 12.00 hrs

Delivery of Visa stamped Passports: 16.45 hrs to 17.15 hrs

Visas will be valid from the date of issue. It is responsibility of the applicant to apply for the visa on time, once the visa is issued it can not be changed to any other type of visa. Parents can sing the visa application form in case children are minors.

Overstay i.e. stay beyond the period of validity of visa is a serious violation of visa rules.

Instructions For Foreigners Coming To India:

All foreign nationals entering India are required to possess a valid international travel document in the form of a national passport or UN Laissez Passer (UNLP) with a valid visa obtained from an Indian Mission or Post abroad. All foreigners travelling to India should strictly abide by the local laws. Foreign Nationals desirous of getting Indian Visa are required to possess valid passport of their country with minimum validity of 6 months.Each visa application is considered on its merits and the Consulate may ask for additional information at any stage during the processing of the application. Submission of application along with prescribed fee does not guarantee issuance of visa.

There is no fee for immigration facilities at the airports. Foreign passengers should ensure that they are in possession of valid Indian Visa before they start their journey to India except nationals of Nepal and Bhutan who do not require visa to enter India and nationals of Maldives who do not require visa for entry into India for a period up to 90 days (a separate visa regime exists for diplomatic/official passport holders.

Online Visa System

All Individual visa seekers are requested to apply for the Indian Visa through online application link or can apply by typing the URL: http://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/ in the address bar of web browser, in order to make an application for getting the Indian visa. 

A print out of application form completed in all respect and successfully submitted online, is to be submitted at the Consulate General of India, Istanbul,in person on the scheduled date of interview along with the required documents as mentioned under the required document section of this Consulate website.

Note: 1. Applicants/Visa seekers need to come in person to the Consulate to enroll their bio metric identity due to introduction of Bio metric Identity System.

2.It is advised that 15-300 kb and 2 inch x 2 inch size of  Photo is ideal for upload. Application without photo upload is incomplete and shall not be accepted.

3.Application shall be accepted only on appointment  date as written on the right side of printed online application form. It is not advised to come to the Consulate without taking appointment.

4.The Online visa system does not accept application with any mistake (substantial or spelling). Please do not insist acceptance of such application. Therefore, kindly re-check and insure that there is no mistake in online application form before approaching to consulate on scheduled date.

5. The information that is filled in must be as per your passport detail.

Online application form:

• This application form is meant for those foreigners who are applying for visa from outside India.

• Each online application form is meant for one person only. Separate application has to be filed for each applicant.

• Furnish information exactly in the manner asked for in the forms, especially the names, address and date of birth.

• Applicants are required to verify the application details before submitting the online application. They have an option to save the online application form, in case it is not to be submitted.

• Once the online application form is submitted by the applicant, then further modifications are not allowed. Hence applicants are requested to check and validate the details before submitting the online application form.

• Applicants are requested to keep the File Number (generated automatically after the submission of online form) for further communications.

Appointment Scheduling:

• Applicant can schedule the date of appointment as per his/ her convenience

• Each applicant to schedule a separate appointment:

1. Applicant shall access the Visa Application system online through the following link: 


2. Applicant visits the above mentioned web link and select the mission as Turkey-Istanbul to apply for the Visa from the drop-down menu.

3. If you have already applied online for Indian Visa online and want to know the status of your application, please follow the link for Visa Enquiry. Further details / description shall be available on the Visa Enquiry page.

Photo Requirements:

• Standard Measurements – 2 inch X 2 inch and 15-20 kb size image is ideal for upload

• Photo should present Full face, front view, eyes open

• Center head within frame and present full head from top of hair to bottom of chin

• Background should be plain light colored or white background

• No shadows on the face or on the background

• Without borders

• Make sure that photo presents full head from top of hair to bottom of chin. Head should measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm). Make sure eye height is between 1-1/8 inches to 1-3.For detail: http://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/

Important Technical Information for Online Visa application

1.This site is best viewed in Internet Explorer (Windows) version 6.0 and above.

2.The applicant must also have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0 or higher installed on your PC in order to download and print the completed application form.

3.The applicant should use either an Ink-Jet or Laser printer to print the completed Visa Application forms once submitted online.

Once the form is filled and submitted, it is requested to submit the signed physical copy of online application form along with the supporting documents and the passport to this Consulate on the scheduled appointment date.

Tourist Visa on Arrival- The foreign national of Finland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, Myanmar and Indonesia can get a Tourist Visa on arrival with a maximum validity of 30 days with single entry facility  by the Immigration officer at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata Airports and NOT in any other Immigration Check Posts(ICPs). For detail please visit...http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/visa_on_arrival2.htm


Immigration check is done for all passengers, Indians or foreigners, both at the time of arrival and departure. The passports are duly stamped at arrival as well as departure. Passengers should be careful to see that their passports are duly stamped before leaving the immigration counter.

All passengers, Foreigners as well as Indians, coming to India or departing from India are required to fill-up D (Disembarkation) Card and E (Embarkation) Cards on arrival and departure respectively. The following information is required to be provided by the passengers in these cards:-

  • Name and Sex

  • Date of birth, Place of Birth, Nationality

  • Passport details viz. number, place and dates of issue/expiry.

  • Visa details viz. number, place and dates of issue/expiry (for arriving foreigners only)

  • Addresses in India

  • Flight number and date of arrival/departure

  • Occupation

  • Purpose of visit to/from India

Specific visas are granted for a variety of purposes. The main types of visas issued are Tourist Visa, Business Visa, Employment visa, Entry visa and Student Visa. Please contact the Consular Section of this Consulate for further details if you are visiting India for purposes other than tourism, such as journalism, conferences, yoga, voluntary work, mountaineering or other expeditions. The visa application form is, however, the same though in some cases additional forms may be required to be filled.

"e-Tourist Visa (eTV) Scheme"e-TOURIST VISA (eTV)

e-Tourist Visa Facility is available for holders of passport of following countries:

Albania, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameron Union Republic, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China- SAR Hongkong, China- SAR Macau, Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan,Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger Republic, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal , Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Island, Tuvalu, UAE,Uganda, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia and Zimbabwe. 


Fee for eTV
 A fee of US $ 60/- or an equivalent amount in Indian rupees per passenger (including children) will be charged from each foreigner for the grant of eTV. 
Please ensure the following, when submitting your application:
  • * International Travelers whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends or relatives, short duration medical treatment or casual business visit.

    • * Passport should have at least six months validity from the date of arrival in India. The passport should have at least two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
    • *You must travel on the passport which you have applied  for eVisa. Entry will be allowed into India on the new passport even if ETA has been issued on the old passport, however in such cases a traveler must carry the old passport on which ETA was issued.
    • * International Travelers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket, with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.
    • * International Travelers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.
    • * e-TV is not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.
    • * Not available to individuals endorsed on Parent’s/Spouse’s Passport i.e. each individual should have a separate passport. 
    • * Not available to International Travel Document Holders.
    • * Passport should be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India. 
    • * Paste one photo and staple the other one on the form at the specified place.
    • * The application forms should be filled only in English. Please fill all columns and do not leave any column blank.
    • * Each visa application is considered on its merits and the Consulate may ask for additional information at any stage during the processing of the application. Submission of application along with prescribed fee does not guarantee issuance of visa. 

Requirements for Visa Application

 Tourist Visa

  • Original Passport (Valid for minimum six months from the date of travel) with a photocopy of relevant pages

  • Print out of  successfully submitted online application form with photo upload

  • One passport size photograph

  • A copy of Turkish Identity card

  • Proof of residence (Nufus Mudurlugu)

  • Copy of Residence Permit for non-Turkish applicant

  • Itinerary (Return flight tickets & hotel bookings). If applying for double entry visa for visiting neighboring countries

  • Latest bank (one page) account statement or other proof to satisfy financial soundness of the applicant Copy of Turkish identity card and copies of visa & ticket copy

  • Old passport, if any

  • Prescribed fee in cash US dollars (see visa fee schedule)

  • In addition to above-

    • If the applicant is employedleave letter form employer on Employer letter Head / Authorized signatory with Employer seal.

    • If the Applicant is self Employed (owns Company)- Leave letter on Company letter Head of his own Company with signature/stamp of authorized signatory,

    • If the applicant is retired- original retirement documents with photocopy.

    • If the applicant is a Student- Letter from the school/university & ID copy

    • If the Applicant is Financially supported- If applicant has not enough funds or bank account, financial support letter from the sponsor notarized. (Not applicable for spouses, parents and children)

    • If Freelancer- Contract documents & leave/cover letter as applicable

 Business Visa

  • Visa application form

  • Form to be filled in by the person applying for Business Visa

  • Two recent passport size photos

  • Passport photocopy with the resident permit

  • Turkish Identity card

  • Proof of residence

  • Bank statement of Company

  • Letter of invitation from the Indian company with copy of Certificate of Incorporation

  • Letter from the employer giving the position of applicant in the company, the reason for the visit with particulars of company to be visited.

  • Commercial License copy of the Local Company/Company registration papers/Authorized signatory- Company Tax papers

  • Applicants from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Nigeria, Somalia, Iran, Iraq and PAK-Origin foreigners are required to fill Reference Form for MHA India

  • Old passport, if any

  • Prescribed fee in cash US dollars (see visa fee schedule)

Conference Visa

  • Visa application form

  • Two recent passport size photos

  • Original passport

  • Invitation letter from the organizer of the conference

  • Turkish Identity card

  • Proof of Residence

  • Air tickets

  • Bank statement if travelling in personal capacity

  • Letter from employer in Turkey

  • MHA & MEA Clearance copies from India

  • NOC from the local sponsor (If travelling in personal capacity, NOC not required)

  • Reference Form for faxing: Participants from Afghanistan, China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, Pak-Origin foreigners prior authorization from Ministry of External Affairs, India & Ministry of Home Affairs, India required.

  • Old passport, if any prescribed fee in cash US dollars (see visa fee schedule)

 Transit Visa

  • Visa application form

  • Undertaking from Turkish/Indian shipping companies (in case of Seaman Transit Visa)

  • Two photographs

  • Valid visa for destination after India

  • Confirmed onward air tickets

  • Application not before one week of departure

  • Photocopy of resident permit

  • Prescribed fee in cash US dollars (see visa fee schedule)

Employment Visa

  • Visa application form
  • Two recent passport size photos
  • Turkish identity card
  • Proof of residence
  • Employment Visa should not be granted for jobs for which large number of qualified Indians are available. Furthermore, Employment visa should not be granted for routine, ordinary or secretarial/clerical jobs
  • Justification letter in view of the above
  • The salary of the foreign national employed should not be less than Rs. 16.25 lakhs per annum
  • Indian Tax Registration document/Total investment in India
  • Letter of guarantee
  • Original passport
  • Profession or educational certificate
  • A photocopy of relevant pages of passport with the residence visa page/Residence Permit
  • The applicant must submit the proof of employment or contract or engagement by the company or organization in India. (Employment/Contract letter should be notarized and attested by Chamber of Commerce & Industry and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)
  • Reference Form for faxing (Applicants from Afghanistan, China, Pakistan and PAK-Origin foreigners)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Whether every foreigner is required to be registered?
Foreigners visiting India on any short-term visa i.e. valid up to 180 days or less are not required to register. Children below 16 years of age visiting India on any type of visa of any duration are also not required to register.For detail please visit..http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/reg_req2.htm

The following two categories of foreigners are required to register:

(i) Foreigners entering India on a Student, Employment, Research or Missionary visa, which is valid for more than 180 days, are required to register with the FRRO/FRO/CHIO within 14 days of their arrival in India.

(ii) Foreigners visiting India on any other category of long-term visa which is valid for more than 180 days are required to register only if they intend to stay in India for more than 180 days continuously during a particular visit. This registration can be done anytime within 180 days of arrival in India.

Where can a foreigner register himself?
foreigner is required to get himself registered with the FRRO/CHIO (in case of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Amritsar and Chennai) or the FRO (i.e. SP District) depending on the place where the foreigner intends to stay.

Is a foreigner required to register himself/herself on each visit?
No, a foreigner is not required to register himself on each visit as long as he is visiting on the same visa on which he was first registered. The registered foreigner will be required to report to FRRO/FRO/CHIO if he re-enters India on a fresh visa. If the registered foreigner obtains a new passport during the validity of his registration and visa, he should get the visa transferred on to his new passport from FRRO/FRO/CHIO for which a service charge of Rs.235/- is levied.

Visa Extensions

Who can grant extension of Employment Visa or Business Visa?
At the time of first extension of employment or business visa, FRRO/FRO/CHIO can grant extension for three months and simultaneously send the case for consideration to MHA for a total extension of one year. Once the MHA approval is received, subsequent extensions on yearly basis for 4 more years can be granted by FRRO/FRO/CHIO.

Can a foreigner registered on Employment Visa change his original Company/employer?
No. Change of original company by a foreigner who has come to India on employment visa is not allowed in the same visa. The foreigner is generally required to go back to his own country and come to India again on a fresh visa.

What type of visa is granted to the family members of foreigners holding 'E' type (Employment) Visa?
They are granted 'X' (entry) type of visa with a validity co-terminus with the validity of the visas of their spouses or for such shorter period as required or considered necessary by the Visa issuing authority.

Can FRRO/FRO/SSP change the category of visa?
FRRO/FRO/CHIO can change the category of visa from long-term Tourist visa to X-Visa (Entry) for five years in respect of foreigners of Indian origin/foreigners married to Indian nationals/foreigners staying in India for more than 20 years. Category of foreign children of Indian origin can also be changed from any other visa (except Transit Visa) to Student visa (up to 12th Class) by FRROs etc.

Can exit permission be given to a foreigner who is registered with FRRO/FRO/SSP & his/her extension is under consideration with the govt.?
If the foreigner wants exit permission within three months period of visa extension done by FRRO/FRO/CHIO, while his case for extension up to one year is pending consideration with the Govt., the exit permission can be granted by the FRRO/FRO/CHIO. However, if the exit permission is asked after the lapse of three months period while the approval of MHA is still awaited, the same can be granted only by the approval of MHA.

Whether Transit Visa can be extended/converted into another VISA?
No. Transit VISA cannot be extended or converted into another VISA. Only MHA can do it in exceptional cases.

Whether overstay on Transit Visa can be condoned by FRRO/ FRO/SSP?
No, only MHA can condone the same.

What length of overstay can be condoned by FRRO/FRO/CHIO?
FRRO/FRO/CHIO can regularize overstay up to three months beyond the validity of original visa (excluding tourist visa) in case of reasonable grounds of delay. However, an overstay fee of US$ 30 (or equivalent amount in INR) is charged. Apart from this, visa extension fee of US$ 40 (or equivalent amount in INR-) is also charged.

What is the penalty fee for overstayed?
An amount in Indian Rupees equivalent to US $30 plus regular fees for extension.

Can diplomat, official and UN-visas (UN diplomatic/official) be extended by FRROs/ FROs/CHIO?
No, only MEA can extend these visas.

Can a 5 years extension be given to a registered foreigner?
Yes. It is done for following categories of foreigners:

  • Foreigners of Indian origin, their spouses & children.

  • Foreigners living in India on valid visa for last 20 years.

  • Experts & technicians coming to India in pursuance of bilateral agreements, their spouses and children.

  • Children below 16 years of age.

When extension of a foreigner is under consideration with MHA, he/she is given three months extension, if he travels abroad and comes after expiry of three months extension, will he be given entry?
In such case a foreigner should obtain a fresh short-term visa from Indian Mission abroad to enter into India and then he/she should take his/her regular extension as per orders of MHA. If the foreigner does not obtain fresh visa and comes to India after expiry of his regular extension, then he/she would be treated as entering India without visa.

When a foreign student travels abroad on a return visa & he/she re-enters India after expiry of 90 days from the date of departure from India, will he be given entry?
In such case a foreigner should obtain a fresh short-term visa from Indian Mission abroad to enter into India and then he/she should take his/her regular extension as per orders of MHA. If the foreigner does not obtain fresh visa and comes to India after expiry of his regular extension, then he/she would be treated as entering India without visa.

Student Visas

Whether visa fee can be charged from foreign students every year?
Visa fee is charged once at the time of issuance of Student Visa for the duration of the course or for 5 years whichever is less. If the visa is issued for a period less than the duration of the course the visa would be extended by the concerned authorities without charging fees.

If a foreign student who has come on student visa joins a new course will fresh visa fee be charged from him?

Whether foreign students can study in M. Phil on student visa instead of Research Visa?

Can a student registered who has completed his graduation get extension for Post Graduate courses by FRRO/FRO/CHIO?
Yes. A student registered, having completed his/her graduation, applying for extension for post graduate courses can be granted extension by FRRO/FRO/CHIO. However, those requiring extension for research/PhD can be given extension only by MHA.

Loss of Passport

What are the formalities for getting 'exit permission' in 'lost passport cases'?
The formalities for getting exit in case of lost passport cases are as follows:

  • Police report for lost passport.

  • Letter from concerned Embassy with details of lost passport and visa details.

  • Arrival confirmation.

  • New Travel document.

Why a foreigner requires arrival confirmation in case of lost passport to get further stay or exit permission?
To verify the legality of his entry into India and also to know duration of his stay/overstay in India.

Is exit permit required in the case of a foreigner who is travelling on Laissez Passer issued by the mission of his country in India in lieu of the passport which was lost by the foreigner in India?


Can a foreigner whose passport carries the names of his/her children, get exit clearance without the children?
His departure will not be permitted without children. For that, the foreigner should obtain separate individual passports for the children from the concerned Embassy/Consulate and an endorsement for deletion of children's particulars from the original passport.

What should a foreigner do who wants departure clearance along with a child born in India after the foreigner arrived in India and holds a separate passport for the child?
The foreigner should first approach the concerned FRO/FRRO/CHIO to regularize the stay of the child in India (from the date of issue of the passport till the departure) and for payment of visa fee and exit endorsement. Without this, the child will not be given departure at the Airport.

If a child is born to a foreign registered in India, can the newly born child be given stay visa?
Yes, co-terminus to his/her parents.

A child born to Indian parents abroad obtains a passport from the concerned foreign mission in India. How will his/her visa be regularized?
In such cases arrival of the child shall first be ascertained as to whether he/she entered India on Indian passport of his/her mother/father. If it is ascertained that the child entered on Indian passport and obtained new foreign passport in India then visa fee shall be charged from the date of issue of foreign passport and further extension shall be given.

Restricted/Protected Areas

Which areas are known as R/P areas?
These areas are as follows:

Protected Areas:

  • Whole of State of Manipur

  • Whole of State of Mizoram

  • Whole of State of Arunachal Pradesh

  • Whole of State of Nagaland

  • Whole of State of Sikkim

  • Parts of State of Uttaranchal.

  • Parts of State of J&K .

  • Parts of State of Rajasthan .

  • Parts of State of Himachal Pradesh.

Restricted Areas:

  • Whole of Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands

  • Part of the state of Sikkim

Who can issue permit for R/P areas?
Power to issue permit to foreigners for visiting R/P areas vests with the MHA. However, FRRO/FRO/CHIO have been delegated these powers in respect of some specified areas.

Whether individual foreigner can be issued R/P area permits?
No, generally a group of foreigners i.e. 4 or more only can avail this facility but MHA can issue to individuals too. FRRO/FRO/CHIO can issue these permits (for certain areas) only for groups of 4 or more foreigners.

What is the fee for R/P area permits?
No fee is charged for this permission at present.


Will foreigner be allowed to enter India only with a V.A.F. stamp affixed on the passport?
NO. V.A.F. (Visa Applied For) stamp is not a visa. The foreigner will be refused entry and sent back to the original place of embarkation.

Can a citizen of Nepal or Bhutan enter India without a passport from any country other than Nepal or Bhutan?
Entry in India will be refused as Nepalese and Bhutanese require a passport to come to India if coming from countries other than Nepal and Bhutan respectively. Nepalese and Bhutanese are exempted from the requirement of passport if coming into India from Nepal or Bhutan respectively only.

What is NORI? To whom is it issued?
The expanded form of NORI is "No Objection to Return to India". It is not a type of visa. NORI is an endorsement made on the Certificate of Identity issued to a stateless person to facilitate his return to India.

Stateless persons residing in India, foreigners whose country is not represented in India or whose national status is in doubt are granted Certificate of Identity to facilitate their travel to places out of India. However, if they intend to return to India on the strength of the Certificate of Identity issued to them, they may get the NORI endorsed on their Certificate of Identity to ensure their return.

NORI does not, by itself, empower the holder of Certificate of Identity to enter India, as it is not a visa. It is, however, a means to obtain visa without prior reference to MEA/MHA and the State Govt. concerned.

Can spouses of a registered foreigner get extension co-terminus to the registered foreigner?
Spouse of a foreigner registered can be given extension by FRRO/FRO/CHIO co-terminus to the foreigner registered if the spouse is in India on X-Visa. However, if the spouse has entered India on tourist visa, he has to get it converted into X-Visa from MHA in order to get extension.

Which are the "Visa fee free regime" countries for India i.e. for whose nationals no fee is charged for granting Indian visa?
Nationals of the following countries are not charged any Visa fee for grant of Indian Visa. They, however, are required to obtain Indian Visa for entry into the country:

Afghanistan, Argentina, Bangladesh, DPRK, Jamaica, Maldives, Mongolia, Mauritius, South Africa and Uruguay.

Whether overstay of the citizens of visa fee free regime countries can also be condoned without charging penalty?
No. The penalty of US$ 30 shall be charged from nationals of these countries for condoning their overstay. However visa fees shall not be charged from them.

Whether the foreign national domestic helps with foreign diplomats in India can be given visa extension co-terminus with their employers?
Yes, after recommendation from MEA and approval from MHA.


Any person seeking a visa to India for purpose of entering into a surrogacy arrangement must ascertain beforehand whether the law of that country permits surrogacy and will provide appropriate travel documents to the child for accompanying the surrogate parents.  Entering into surrogacy arrangement under any other visa not sought for surrogacy is punishable under the Indian law.